Skip to main content

Cobhams Asuquo appointed as UNICEF national ambassador

The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has appointed the award-winning Nigerian musician, producer and songwriter, Cobhams Asuquo, as its National Ambassador.

UNICEF Nigeria Representative, Peter Hawkins, announced the appointment in a statement made available to newsmen in Kaduna on Wednesday.

Hawkins said that the appointment made the celebrated artist UNICEF Nigeria’s first National Ambassador in the last 15 years.

Asuquo, a lawyer by training, is a singer and musician who shot to fame when he produced the debut album of Nigerian soul sensation “Asa”.

This include Asa’s hit singles, “Fire on the Mountain” and “Jailer”.

Hawkins explained that as UNICEF National Ambassador, Asuquo would help raise awareness on concerns around children’s rights and solutions, including issues around birth registration, immunisation, education and protection from violence.

“I am delighted to welcome Asuquo to the UNICEF family, particularly on Nigerian Children’s Day, dedicated to every Nigerian child, to give them a better place to survive, thrive and develop.

“May 27 was set aside to celebrate the importance of children in Nigeria, providing the opportunity to policymakers and families to focus on the holistic development of young Nigerians,” Hawkins explained.
He said that Asuquo had been supporting UNICEF to raise awareness on children’s and youth issues.

“He had supported UNICEF Nigeria’s work since 2019, including producing the hits ‘I am a Nigeria Child (For Every Child)’, calling for every Nigerian child’s rights to be respected and protected.

“He also produced the song ‘We go Win (Corona)’, to raise awareness on how Nigerians can protect themselves from COVID-19.

“Asuquo had also produced the song ‘Tell Everybody’ back in 2015 to raise awareness of the Sustainable Development Goals, as part of the UN Global Goals campaign,” Hawkins said.

The UNICEF representative expressed optimism that the national ambassador would continue to use his singing, passion and dedication to defend the rights of vulnerable children and young people in Nigeria.

Hawkins quoted Asuquo as saying: “It’s a huge honour to become a UNICEF Nigeria Ambassador.

“I am thrilled to join the list of UNICEF Goodwill Ambassadors around the world, supporting the protection and promotion of children’s rights.

“I am passionate about children’s rights, and I am passionate about Nigeria – and securing its future and the only way we can truly do that is through ensuring every child fulfilled their potential.
“I look forward to making my contribution to the improvement of the lives of Nigerian children and young people.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigerian Military hands over 23 rescued children to UNICEF through Borno State

The Nigerian military has handed over 23 children who were formerly associated with Boko Haram insurgents, to UNICEF through the Borno State government.  The children were picked up during various military operations around the north-east region. Aged between 17 and 10 years, the boys and girls confessed to the military that they have been assisting the Boko Haram insurgents either as fighters or domestic helps in the camps. The Theatre Commander of a military counterinsurgency force, Abba Dikko, said the 23 children were released in line with Nigeria military’s commitment to the observance of human rights. He observed that the children and other vulnerable persons were victims who faced with the highly unstable circumstances induced by the conflict would have had little option but to fall under the thrall of the insurgents.  “We were able to identify this category of people, especially the women, the aged and children to whom it behooves our sense of duty and res...

FRSC reinforces directive on use of google maps while driving

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has clarified its position on the use of Google Maps, The FCT Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Ayuba Gora was quoted saying that driving with the aid of Google map using mobile phones is a serious traffic offence. Gora said this at the inauguration of the 2019 Ember Months Campaign by Lugbe Unit Command of the FRSC in Abuja yesterday. But, FRSC Spokesman Bisi Kazeem making reference to Gora’s comments said the Sector Commander was quoted out of context and his statement outrightly misrepresented. Kazeem said the FRSC as a technology-driven organisation is not and has never stood against the use of Google Maps by Motorists. The statement read: “To state the obvious, we have always enlightened the public on the position of the law on the use of phone while driving. “The statement he made during the flag off buttresses the position of the Corps, which is that any driver who intends to deploy the use of Google Map...

Rihanna confirms she's headlining the Super Bowl LVII halftime show

  Rihanna has confirmed she will be headlining the 2023 Super Bowl half-time show.   The Barbadian singer, 34, announced the news Sunday September 25, by sharing a photo of her tattooed arm holding a football. The post marks Rihanna's first social media activity since giving birth to her first child in May.   The NFL also Tweeted the big news with the same snap and the message 'Let’s GO-#SBLVII' A statement released by Roc Nation founder Shawn Jay-Z Carter, read: 'Rihanna is a generational talent, a woman of humble beginnings who has surpassed expectations at every turn. A person born on the small island of Barbados who became one of the most prominent artists ever. Self-made in business and entertainment.'  A statement from Apple Music read, 'We are thrilled to welcome Rihanna to the Apple Music Super Bowl Halftime Show stage,' shared Seth Dudowsky who is the NFL Head of Music. 'Rihanna is a once in a generation artist who has been a cultural fo...