Skip to main content

Celebs, others React to George Floyd's Death

Notable figures across entertainment, sports, and politics are speaking out against the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man who allegedly suffocated while being detained by police.

The tragic incident occurred Monday in Minneapolis, after officers attempted to arrest Floyd on suspicion of forgery. A passerby filmed an officer kneeling on the back of Floyd's neck, as the 46-year-old was face down on the pavement screaming, "Please, I can't breathe!" The officer ignores Floyd's pleas and refuses to release the man from his hold. Moments later, Floyd goes quiet and appears to lose consciousness. He was transported to the hospital and was pronounced dead.
LeBron James and Snoop Dogg were among those who juxtaposed the disturbing image of the kneeling officer to a photo of Colin Kaepernick's #TakeaKnee demonstration against police brutality.
Kaepernick's girlfriend, Nessa, retweeted the side-by-side pictures, which showed "This ..." over the officer and "...Is Why" over the former 49ers QB.

Retired NFL athlete Donte Stallworth echoed the message in a tweet that included footage of Floyd pleading for his life.

Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo confirmed Tuesday that the four officers involved in the incident were no longer with the department. City mayor, Jacob Frey, shared a subsequent tweet stating the unidentified officers had been terminated.
The FBI and state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension are investigating Floyd's death, while the Hennepin County Attorney's Office is working with federal prosecutors to determine if criminal prosecution will be pursued.

"We promise a thorough, expedited review consistent with our on-going commitment to justice," the county attorney's office said in a statement. "Every person is entitled to fairness; no person stands above the law."

On Tuesday night, thousands of protestors flooded the streets of Minneapolis calling for an end to police brutality as well as justice for Floyd. According to Star Tribune, demonstrators were met with police in riot gear who fired tear gas and sandbags. The outlet reports protestors were seen throwing water bottles and other items at officers, causing police SUV windows to break.

"This will happen again if we don’t get out in front of this," community activist Al Flowers told the Tribune about the clash. "[This is] one of the most egregious murders I’ve ever seen."

Flowers added that the officer who kneeled on Floyd's neck should face prosecution.
Celebrities, politicians, and sports stars have made calls on social media using the hashtags #BlackLivesMatter and #GeorgeFloyd.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigerian Military hands over 23 rescued children to UNICEF through Borno State

The Nigerian military has handed over 23 children who were formerly associated with Boko Haram insurgents, to UNICEF through the Borno State government.  The children were picked up during various military operations around the north-east region. Aged between 17 and 10 years, the boys and girls confessed to the military that they have been assisting the Boko Haram insurgents either as fighters or domestic helps in the camps. The Theatre Commander of a military counterinsurgency force, Abba Dikko, said the 23 children were released in line with Nigeria military’s commitment to the observance of human rights. He observed that the children and other vulnerable persons were victims who faced with the highly unstable circumstances induced by the conflict would have had little option but to fall under the thrall of the insurgents.  “We were able to identify this category of people, especially the women, the aged and children to whom it behooves our sense of duty and res...

FRSC reinforces directive on use of google maps while driving

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has clarified its position on the use of Google Maps, The FCT Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Ayuba Gora was quoted saying that driving with the aid of Google map using mobile phones is a serious traffic offence. Gora said this at the inauguration of the 2019 Ember Months Campaign by Lugbe Unit Command of the FRSC in Abuja yesterday. But, FRSC Spokesman Bisi Kazeem making reference to Gora’s comments said the Sector Commander was quoted out of context and his statement outrightly misrepresented. Kazeem said the FRSC as a technology-driven organisation is not and has never stood against the use of Google Maps by Motorists. The statement read: “To state the obvious, we have always enlightened the public on the position of the law on the use of phone while driving. “The statement he made during the flag off buttresses the position of the Corps, which is that any driver who intends to deploy the use of Google Map...

Rihanna confirms she's headlining the Super Bowl LVII halftime show

  Rihanna has confirmed she will be headlining the 2023 Super Bowl half-time show.   The Barbadian singer, 34, announced the news Sunday September 25, by sharing a photo of her tattooed arm holding a football. The post marks Rihanna's first social media activity since giving birth to her first child in May.   The NFL also Tweeted the big news with the same snap and the message 'Let’s GO-#SBLVII' A statement released by Roc Nation founder Shawn Jay-Z Carter, read: 'Rihanna is a generational talent, a woman of humble beginnings who has surpassed expectations at every turn. A person born on the small island of Barbados who became one of the most prominent artists ever. Self-made in business and entertainment.'  A statement from Apple Music read, 'We are thrilled to welcome Rihanna to the Apple Music Super Bowl Halftime Show stage,' shared Seth Dudowsky who is the NFL Head of Music. 'Rihanna is a once in a generation artist who has been a cultural fo...