Skip to main content

African Union inaugurates coronavirus response situation room in Nigeria

The African Union (AU) Economic, Social and Cultural Council (ECOSOCC), on Monday inaugurated a response situation room in Nigeria to boost the fight against the Coronavirus (COVID-19).

ECOSOCC is an advisory body of the African Union designed to give civil society organizations a voice within AU institutions and decision-making processes.

In a statement by Tunji Asaolu, 1st-Nigerian Representative of the Permanent General Assembly of AU-ECOSOCC, said the situation room would support joint efforts on the fight against the COVID-19.

Asaolu said the establishment of the situation room was initiated to promote dialogue among all segments of people on issues about Africa and its future.

He said “This is in view of achieving the AU-ECOSOCC’s mandate, which is primarily to coordinate the participation of all civil societies towards domesticating the decisions of the AU in member states.

“In this regard, AU-ECOSOCC Nigeria has partnered with the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management & Social Development, the Social Development Secretariat of FCT and Thunderbolt Media.

“Collectively we will mobilise the participation of CSOs and Volunteers to avail us information and data for critical review at the AU-ECOSOCC Nigeria COVID-19 Response team situation room.”


He said 62 civil society organisations, international development partners and concerned individuals had been mobilised across the country to sensitise people on preventive measures of COVID-19.

Mr Asaolu said the volunteers would monitor the distribution of palliatives to vulnerable groups, evaluate the palliatives by government in the bid to advise council on proper measures to achieve targets.

He commended the federal government’s efforts to contain the disease.

“We commend President Muhammadu Buhari and the various COVID-19 Joint Task Force for their proactive steps to contain outbreak of the disease in Nigeria.

“The AU-ECOSOCC has been following the activities since the day of inauguration of Presidential Task Forces on COVID-19. Chaired by Mr. Boss Mustapha, Secretary to the Government of the Federation.

“The establishment of the committee is a way of implementing the Africa Joint Continental Strategy for COVID-19 Outbreak, which Nigeria is always leading.

“While commending all these efforts, I wish to appeal to President Buhari to set-up an ECOSOCC/civil society organization, academia, labour organizations and private sector since in the fights to expedite success.”

He commended the Africa Centres for Disease Control (Africa CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) in the fights against COVID-19.

Similarly, he commended the Ministries of Health in Africa for activating Emergency Operations Centres and Incident Management Systems.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigerian Military hands over 23 rescued children to UNICEF through Borno State

The Nigerian military has handed over 23 children who were formerly associated with Boko Haram insurgents, to UNICEF through the Borno State government.  The children were picked up during various military operations around the north-east region. Aged between 17 and 10 years, the boys and girls confessed to the military that they have been assisting the Boko Haram insurgents either as fighters or domestic helps in the camps. The Theatre Commander of a military counterinsurgency force, Abba Dikko, said the 23 children were released in line with Nigeria military’s commitment to the observance of human rights. He observed that the children and other vulnerable persons were victims who faced with the highly unstable circumstances induced by the conflict would have had little option but to fall under the thrall of the insurgents.  “We were able to identify this category of people, especially the women, the aged and children to whom it behooves our sense of duty and res...

FRSC reinforces directive on use of google maps while driving

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has clarified its position on the use of Google Maps, The FCT Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Ayuba Gora was quoted saying that driving with the aid of Google map using mobile phones is a serious traffic offence. Gora said this at the inauguration of the 2019 Ember Months Campaign by Lugbe Unit Command of the FRSC in Abuja yesterday. But, FRSC Spokesman Bisi Kazeem making reference to Gora’s comments said the Sector Commander was quoted out of context and his statement outrightly misrepresented. Kazeem said the FRSC as a technology-driven organisation is not and has never stood against the use of Google Maps by Motorists. The statement read: “To state the obvious, we have always enlightened the public on the position of the law on the use of phone while driving. “The statement he made during the flag off buttresses the position of the Corps, which is that any driver who intends to deploy the use of Google Map...

Rihanna confirms she's headlining the Super Bowl LVII halftime show

  Rihanna has confirmed she will be headlining the 2023 Super Bowl half-time show.   The Barbadian singer, 34, announced the news Sunday September 25, by sharing a photo of her tattooed arm holding a football. The post marks Rihanna's first social media activity since giving birth to her first child in May.   The NFL also Tweeted the big news with the same snap and the message 'Let’s GO-#SBLVII' A statement released by Roc Nation founder Shawn Jay-Z Carter, read: 'Rihanna is a generational talent, a woman of humble beginnings who has surpassed expectations at every turn. A person born on the small island of Barbados who became one of the most prominent artists ever. Self-made in business and entertainment.'  A statement from Apple Music read, 'We are thrilled to welcome Rihanna to the Apple Music Super Bowl Halftime Show stage,' shared Seth Dudowsky who is the NFL Head of Music. 'Rihanna is a once in a generation artist who has been a cultural fo...