Skip to main content

Zidane plays down Wales banner criticism

Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane has moved to play down any suggestion he would be upset with Gareth Bale following the controversy surrounding the forward's recent appearances for Wales.

Bale has not made an appearance for Madrid since October 5 due to a calf injury, but was fit to line up for his national side against both Azerbaijan and Hungary over the past week as Ryan Giggs' team secured their place at Euro 2020.

The former Tottenham star was pictured after the Hungary game celebrating with a Wales flag which included the words "Wales. Golf. Madrid. In that order." in relation to a recent interview in which ex-Real striker Pedja Mijatovic questioned Bale's priorities.

Bale also stated during the international break that he gets more enjoyment out of playing for Wales than Madrid, with fans and media in the Spanish capital lambasting him for showing little respect to the club which pays his wages.

Zidane, though, refused to be critical of Bale's actions, telling a press conference: "I think a lot of noise is made with Bale's gesture and what needs to be done is to focus on football, me as a coach and he as a player. It's too much already.

"The player has left with the national team, he has been able to play and we got him back. I only look at sports performance, not what is said outside. I am not interested in the outside.

"I'll always say the same. When you look at what he has given this club, and its fans, the ones who come to the stadium know that he is one of our own, and the fans must be on his side.

"I think he can be a decisive player. I only think about that. If something does not happen to him, he is a very important player. When something happens to him, of course, like when he is injured, it changes. I am going to count on Bale."

Bale has previously been criticised for failing to adapt to Spanish culture, with his struggles with a new language regularly cited as an issue.

And Zidane feels that may be at the root of the 30-year-old's comments on his enjoyment when playing for Wales, though he does not believe that representing Madrid is a burden for the player.

Asked if Bale was happier playing for Wales than Madrid, Zidane said: "I don't think so. Maybe it's the language. It's the only thing.

"He looked happy to me when scoring the goal in the Champions League final. And he did that with Madrid. It's just the language. In the dressing room he's fine."

Having trained with the Madrid squad on Thursday and Friday, Bale is in contention to return to the line-up against Real Sociedad on Saturday when the Blancos resume their pursuit of the Liga title.

A crunch Champions League clash against Paris Saint-Germain follows on Tuesday as the 13-time European champions look to book their place in the knockout stages.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigerian Military hands over 23 rescued children to UNICEF through Borno State

The Nigerian military has handed over 23 children who were formerly associated with Boko Haram insurgents, to UNICEF through the Borno State government.  The children were picked up during various military operations around the north-east region. Aged between 17 and 10 years, the boys and girls confessed to the military that they have been assisting the Boko Haram insurgents either as fighters or domestic helps in the camps. The Theatre Commander of a military counterinsurgency force, Abba Dikko, said the 23 children were released in line with Nigeria military’s commitment to the observance of human rights. He observed that the children and other vulnerable persons were victims who faced with the highly unstable circumstances induced by the conflict would have had little option but to fall under the thrall of the insurgents.  “We were able to identify this category of people, especially the women, the aged and children to whom it behooves our sense of duty and res...

FRSC reinforces directive on use of google maps while driving

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has clarified its position on the use of Google Maps, The FCT Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Ayuba Gora was quoted saying that driving with the aid of Google map using mobile phones is a serious traffic offence. Gora said this at the inauguration of the 2019 Ember Months Campaign by Lugbe Unit Command of the FRSC in Abuja yesterday. But, FRSC Spokesman Bisi Kazeem making reference to Gora’s comments said the Sector Commander was quoted out of context and his statement outrightly misrepresented. Kazeem said the FRSC as a technology-driven organisation is not and has never stood against the use of Google Maps by Motorists. The statement read: “To state the obvious, we have always enlightened the public on the position of the law on the use of phone while driving. “The statement he made during the flag off buttresses the position of the Corps, which is that any driver who intends to deploy the use of Google Map...

Rihanna confirms she's headlining the Super Bowl LVII halftime show

  Rihanna has confirmed she will be headlining the 2023 Super Bowl half-time show.   The Barbadian singer, 34, announced the news Sunday September 25, by sharing a photo of her tattooed arm holding a football. The post marks Rihanna's first social media activity since giving birth to her first child in May.   The NFL also Tweeted the big news with the same snap and the message 'Let’s GO-#SBLVII' A statement released by Roc Nation founder Shawn Jay-Z Carter, read: 'Rihanna is a generational talent, a woman of humble beginnings who has surpassed expectations at every turn. A person born on the small island of Barbados who became one of the most prominent artists ever. Self-made in business and entertainment.'  A statement from Apple Music read, 'We are thrilled to welcome Rihanna to the Apple Music Super Bowl Halftime Show stage,' shared Seth Dudowsky who is the NFL Head of Music. 'Rihanna is a once in a generation artist who has been a cultural fo...