Skip to main content

Oil spill forces Agip to shut-in Aggah oilfield

The Nigerian Agip Oil Company has announced a shut-in at its oilfield in Aggah community in Ogbia/Egbema Local Government Area of Rivers State, following pipeline leakage to forestall further damage to the environment.

Eni, the Italian parent company of NAOC, confirmed the development in a statement on Thursday.

The statement reads in part, “NAOC got a report of a leakage from a well flow line on 14th October 2019, in the southern part of Aggah territory, in Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni Local Government Area of Rivers State.

“The leakage was primarily bubbling of gas and sheens of condensate.

“Following the report of the event, NAOC deployed containment booms around the leak spot and shut-in the well to stop the leak.

“Statutory notification was issued to DPR, NOSDRA and Rivers State ministry of Environment for Joint Investigation Visit before effecting the repair.”
Meanwhile, the National Oil Spills Detection and Response Agency said that it was investigating the cause of a damaged pipeline and possible volume of leaked crude oil at Aggah which had polluted the area.

The Port Harcourt Zonal Director of NOSDRA, Mr. Cyrus Nkangwu, Port Harcourt, who confirmed the development, said the NAOC had reported the oil spill to the agency.

He said the area had been cordoned off to prevent further spread, adding that the agency had also deployed its personnel to the oil spill site.

“A Joint Investigation Visit (JIV) team is currently at the scene of the incident and would find out the cause of the leak and estimated volume of crude discharged into the environment,” Nkangwu said.

The leak is coming barely one month after fire broke out from NAOC’s field in nearby Ubeta community in neighbouring Ahoada-West Local Government Area of Rivers State.

The NAOC had claimed that the fire incident was caused by the activities of oil thieves at the oilfield.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigerian Military hands over 23 rescued children to UNICEF through Borno State

The Nigerian military has handed over 23 children who were formerly associated with Boko Haram insurgents, to UNICEF through the Borno State government.  The children were picked up during various military operations around the north-east region. Aged between 17 and 10 years, the boys and girls confessed to the military that they have been assisting the Boko Haram insurgents either as fighters or domestic helps in the camps. The Theatre Commander of a military counterinsurgency force, Abba Dikko, said the 23 children were released in line with Nigeria military’s commitment to the observance of human rights. He observed that the children and other vulnerable persons were victims who faced with the highly unstable circumstances induced by the conflict would have had little option but to fall under the thrall of the insurgents.  “We were able to identify this category of people, especially the women, the aged and children to whom it behooves our sense of duty and res...

FRSC reinforces directive on use of google maps while driving

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has clarified its position on the use of Google Maps, The FCT Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Ayuba Gora was quoted saying that driving with the aid of Google map using mobile phones is a serious traffic offence. Gora said this at the inauguration of the 2019 Ember Months Campaign by Lugbe Unit Command of the FRSC in Abuja yesterday. But, FRSC Spokesman Bisi Kazeem making reference to Gora’s comments said the Sector Commander was quoted out of context and his statement outrightly misrepresented. Kazeem said the FRSC as a technology-driven organisation is not and has never stood against the use of Google Maps by Motorists. The statement read: “To state the obvious, we have always enlightened the public on the position of the law on the use of phone while driving. “The statement he made during the flag off buttresses the position of the Corps, which is that any driver who intends to deploy the use of Google Map...

Rihanna confirms she's headlining the Super Bowl LVII halftime show

  Rihanna has confirmed she will be headlining the 2023 Super Bowl half-time show.   The Barbadian singer, 34, announced the news Sunday September 25, by sharing a photo of her tattooed arm holding a football. The post marks Rihanna's first social media activity since giving birth to her first child in May.   The NFL also Tweeted the big news with the same snap and the message 'Let’s GO-#SBLVII' A statement released by Roc Nation founder Shawn Jay-Z Carter, read: 'Rihanna is a generational talent, a woman of humble beginnings who has surpassed expectations at every turn. A person born on the small island of Barbados who became one of the most prominent artists ever. Self-made in business and entertainment.'  A statement from Apple Music read, 'We are thrilled to welcome Rihanna to the Apple Music Super Bowl Halftime Show stage,' shared Seth Dudowsky who is the NFL Head of Music. 'Rihanna is a once in a generation artist who has been a cultural fo...