Skip to main content

US approves merger of wireless operators T-Mobile, Sprint

US antitrust authorities on Friday approved the $26 billion merger of T-Mobile and Sprint in a deal that brings together the third- and fourth-largest wireless operators as the industry moves toward deployment of superfast 5G networks.
The tie-up aims to create a strong number three US operator to compete against sector leaders Verizon and AT&T and expedite 5G deployment, but consumer groups have complained it would mean reduced competition and higher prices.

The deal calls for Sprint to sell some of its prepaid wireless operations to satellite TV operator Dish Network, which would create its own telecom service.

“With this merger and accompanying divestiture, we are expanding output significantly by ensuring that large amounts of currently unused or underused spectrum are made available to American consumers in the form of high quality 5G networks,” said Makan Delrahim, head of the Justice Department’s antitrust division.

Delrahim added that the agreement would provide Dish with the resources needed to “provide a full range of mobile wireless services nationwide.”

T-Mobile, whose parent is German-based Deutsche Telekom, and Sprint, controlled by Japan’s SoftBank, say the merger will be good for consumers.

Assistant Attorney General for Antitrust Makan Delrahim said the approval of the T-Mobile Sprint deal requires the sale of assets to Dish Network, which would become a fourth national carrier

It will create a “bigger and bolder competitor than ever before – one that will deliver the most transformative 5G network in the country, lower prices, better quality, unmatched value and thousands of jobs,” said T-Mobile chief executive John Legere, who will retain the CEO job upon completion of the merger.

“Today’s results are a win-win for everyone involved. We cannot wait to get to work bringing this pro-consumer, pro-competition New T-Mobile 5G network to US customers from coast to coast.”

Sprint executive chairman Marcelo Claure said the tie-up “will allow the US to fiercely compete for 5G leadership” and that the combined firm would build “one of the world’s most advanced 5G networks, which will massively revolutionize the way consumers and businesses use their connected devices to enhance their daily lives.”

Legere told analysts on a conference call he expected regulatory approval to be completed soon, with the merger completed by the end of the year.

- Higher prices? -
T-Mobile CEO John Legere said the tie-up with Sprint will be a "win-win" for consumers and lead to faster deployment of 5G technology

Earlier this year, 14 states sued to block the deal. The Justice Department said five agreed to the settlement, which still requires approval in court.

New York state attorney general Letitia James said a group of state regulators would maintain their effort to block the merger.

“The coalition today reaffirmed its commitment to opposing this merger, which would reduce competition and increase prices for consumers,” James said in a statement.

Legere said the companies were “willing to engage” with opponents and that “our intention is not to close while the litigation is ongoing.”

Joshua Stager, of the New America Foundation’s Open Technology Institute, said the deal fell short of retaining four “viable competitors” for the sector, adding that the effort to sell assets to Dish was “needlessly convoluted.”

“DOJ does not need to bend over backwards to fix a bad merger. It can simply block the deal,” he said.

Avery Gardiner, an antitrust fellow at the Center for Democracy & Technology, said the decision to approve the deal “goes against decades of settled principles” of competition.

“The wireless industry is already highly concentrated, and this deal is likely to result in higher prices, calcified cell service plans, and lower quality all around,” she said.

Chris Shelton, president of the Communications Workers of America union, said the tie-up would kill 30,000 jobs and would make Dish a reseller of services over the T-Mobile network rather than a genuine rival.

But Jessica Melugin of the Competitive Enterprise Institute said the deal would be positive for consumers by allowing for three strong 5G operators.

She added that, with the government out of the way, consumers would get the wireless innovations they deserve in an unfettered marketplace.

Dish Network, which operates satellite and other pay TV systems, said it would deploy a 5G broadband network capable of serving 70 percent of the US population by June 2023.

Dish will get wireless spectrum to be divested in the deal as well as the prepaid Sprint operations Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and Sprint Prepaid.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigerian Military hands over 23 rescued children to UNICEF through Borno State

The Nigerian military has handed over 23 children who were formerly associated with Boko Haram insurgents, to UNICEF through the Borno State government.  The children were picked up during various military operations around the north-east region. Aged between 17 and 10 years, the boys and girls confessed to the military that they have been assisting the Boko Haram insurgents either as fighters or domestic helps in the camps. The Theatre Commander of a military counterinsurgency force, Abba Dikko, said the 23 children were released in line with Nigeria military’s commitment to the observance of human rights. He observed that the children and other vulnerable persons were victims who faced with the highly unstable circumstances induced by the conflict would have had little option but to fall under the thrall of the insurgents.  “We were able to identify this category of people, especially the women, the aged and children to whom it behooves our sense of duty and res...

FRSC reinforces directive on use of google maps while driving

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has clarified its position on the use of Google Maps, The FCT Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Ayuba Gora was quoted saying that driving with the aid of Google map using mobile phones is a serious traffic offence. Gora said this at the inauguration of the 2019 Ember Months Campaign by Lugbe Unit Command of the FRSC in Abuja yesterday. But, FRSC Spokesman Bisi Kazeem making reference to Gora’s comments said the Sector Commander was quoted out of context and his statement outrightly misrepresented. Kazeem said the FRSC as a technology-driven organisation is not and has never stood against the use of Google Maps by Motorists. The statement read: “To state the obvious, we have always enlightened the public on the position of the law on the use of phone while driving. “The statement he made during the flag off buttresses the position of the Corps, which is that any driver who intends to deploy the use of Google Map...

Rihanna confirms she's headlining the Super Bowl LVII halftime show

  Rihanna has confirmed she will be headlining the 2023 Super Bowl half-time show.   The Barbadian singer, 34, announced the news Sunday September 25, by sharing a photo of her tattooed arm holding a football. The post marks Rihanna's first social media activity since giving birth to her first child in May.   The NFL also Tweeted the big news with the same snap and the message 'Let’s GO-#SBLVII' A statement released by Roc Nation founder Shawn Jay-Z Carter, read: 'Rihanna is a generational talent, a woman of humble beginnings who has surpassed expectations at every turn. A person born on the small island of Barbados who became one of the most prominent artists ever. Self-made in business and entertainment.'  A statement from Apple Music read, 'We are thrilled to welcome Rihanna to the Apple Music Super Bowl Halftime Show stage,' shared Seth Dudowsky who is the NFL Head of Music. 'Rihanna is a once in a generation artist who has been a cultural fo...