Skip to main content

City on the brink of clinching title


Manchester city coach Pep Guardiola says winning the Premier League will be one of the greatest achievements of his glittering career after Manchester City moved to the brink of the title with a stylish 3-1 win over Tottenham on Saturday.
Guardiola's side extended their lead over second-placed Manchester United to 16 points thanks to goals from Gabriel Jesus, Ilkay Gundogan and Raheem Sterling at Wembley.

Christian Eriksen had reduced the deficit to 2-1 in the first half, but City will be crowned champions if United lose to bottom-of-the-table West Brom on Sunday.

If United draw the race would also effectively be over as City would be 15 points clear with a maximum of 15 available to Jose Mourinho's team, who have a vastly inferior goal difference.

A United victory would keep City's champagne on ice for a few more days at least.

But a United defeat against Bournemouth in midweek or a City win over Swansea next Sunday would wrap up the silverware.

Guardiola has won titles with Barcelona and Bayern Munich, while also conquering the Champions League during his Camp Nou reign.

But the Spaniard believes leading City to the title would rank among his finest moments.

"It's more difficult (to win in England). Physicality, weather conditions, the amount of games. The Premier League is so, so tough," Guardiola said.

"That's why winning next week, hopefully we will, it will remain in our hearts forever.

"It's one of the best by far. Winning titles in every league is important, with Barcelona was special.

"But the Premier League is one of the nicest and most important."

After sweeping through most of the season in regal fashion, City had crashed down to earth with a bump over the last 10 days.

Their limp Champions League quarterfinal exit against Liverpool came either side of their failure to clinch the title last weekend, when United came from two goals down to beat them.

But it quickly became clear that run of three successive defeats wasn't weighing on City.

Taking a shot at critics who slammed City's recent blip, Guardiola said: "People said it was a big failure last week. They don't understand anything.

"The Champions League is seven knockout games. The league is nine months. It's much more important what these players have done.

"The players have my total respect. It's incredible. They have been unbelievable."

Asked if it would be extra special to win a league where some said his purist principles wouldn't work, Guardiola said: "Yes. We did it...we almost did it!"

Unusually sluggish, Tottenham didn't test City and, with a swagger back in their stride, Guardiola's men took the lead in the 22nd minute.

Most of their goals this season have come with a flourish, but for once City took a more direct approach.

CITY BACK ON TRACK

Vincent Kompany's long pass caught Tottenham defender Davinson Sanchez flat-footed and Jesus made him pay as he raced clear to fire past Lloris.

City's problems were suddenly a thing of the past and they went further ahead three minutes later.

When Sterling weaved his way towards the Tottenham area, Lloris raced off his line to make a crude lunge that sent the City winger flying.

While it was a clear foul, the contact appeared to be made just outside the area, yet, to Tottenham's fury, Jonathan Moss awarded a penalty that Gundogan slotted home with ease.

It was almost too easy for City and they slipped up in the 42nd minute.

Running onto Harry Kane's defence-splitting pass, Eriksen's shot hit City's Aymeric Laporte and deflected back onto the Tottenham midfielder on its way past Ederson.

City regained control after halftime and should have been out of sight as Jesus scuffed badly wide and Sterling fared no better with a woeful close-range miss.

But they moved within touching distance of the title in the 72nd minute.

Lloris palmed Jesus's shot to Sterling and the winger drilled into the roof of the net to leave City fans singing "we're going to win the league".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigerian Military hands over 23 rescued children to UNICEF through Borno State

The Nigerian military has handed over 23 children who were formerly associated with Boko Haram insurgents, to UNICEF through the Borno State government.  The children were picked up during various military operations around the north-east region. Aged between 17 and 10 years, the boys and girls confessed to the military that they have been assisting the Boko Haram insurgents either as fighters or domestic helps in the camps. The Theatre Commander of a military counterinsurgency force, Abba Dikko, said the 23 children were released in line with Nigeria military’s commitment to the observance of human rights. He observed that the children and other vulnerable persons were victims who faced with the highly unstable circumstances induced by the conflict would have had little option but to fall under the thrall of the insurgents.  “We were able to identify this category of people, especially the women, the aged and children to whom it behooves our sense of duty and res...

FRSC reinforces directive on use of google maps while driving

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has clarified its position on the use of Google Maps, The FCT Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Ayuba Gora was quoted saying that driving with the aid of Google map using mobile phones is a serious traffic offence. Gora said this at the inauguration of the 2019 Ember Months Campaign by Lugbe Unit Command of the FRSC in Abuja yesterday. But, FRSC Spokesman Bisi Kazeem making reference to Gora’s comments said the Sector Commander was quoted out of context and his statement outrightly misrepresented. Kazeem said the FRSC as a technology-driven organisation is not and has never stood against the use of Google Maps by Motorists. The statement read: “To state the obvious, we have always enlightened the public on the position of the law on the use of phone while driving. “The statement he made during the flag off buttresses the position of the Corps, which is that any driver who intends to deploy the use of Google Map...

Rihanna confirms she's headlining the Super Bowl LVII halftime show

  Rihanna has confirmed she will be headlining the 2023 Super Bowl half-time show.   The Barbadian singer, 34, announced the news Sunday September 25, by sharing a photo of her tattooed arm holding a football. The post marks Rihanna's first social media activity since giving birth to her first child in May.   The NFL also Tweeted the big news with the same snap and the message 'Let’s GO-#SBLVII' A statement released by Roc Nation founder Shawn Jay-Z Carter, read: 'Rihanna is a generational talent, a woman of humble beginnings who has surpassed expectations at every turn. A person born on the small island of Barbados who became one of the most prominent artists ever. Self-made in business and entertainment.'  A statement from Apple Music read, 'We are thrilled to welcome Rihanna to the Apple Music Super Bowl Halftime Show stage,' shared Seth Dudowsky who is the NFL Head of Music. 'Rihanna is a once in a generation artist who has been a cultural fo...