Skip to main content

Hamilton hopes for Abu Dhabi scrap

Lewis Hamilton is hoping for any kind of competitive scrap to give him a chance of winning Sunday’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix after qualifying second behind teammate Valtteri Bottas on Saturday.

The 32-year-old newly-crowned four-time world champion blamed himself for a slight set-up error in the cooling evening conditions during the twilight qualifying session.

"I just hope it’s not like a train," the Mercedes man told reporters. “I hope that there’s some sort of battle whether it’s degradation, or pit stops, or whatever.

"Practice had gone well this morning,” he said. “I was really comfortable with the car, but this track gets cooler in the afternoon so you make some changes to counteract it.

"I may have gone too far – probably I have gone too far. I was fighting the car the whole time….”

Hamilton was fastest in practice, but could not translate that speed into pole position later in the day when the nearest Ferrari – of four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel – was half a second off the pace of Bottas.

"I wasn’t expecting that, but generally when it gets cooler that bodes well for us,” said Hamilton, who praised Bottas.

“Valtteri did an exceptional job and he deserved to have pole this time.”

Finn Bottas set a new circuit lap record as he scorched to pole position for the second consecutive race and fourth time in his career.

The spectacular modern Yas Marina Circuit looks wonderful with its changing lighting and floodlights around the track, but has a reputation for processional racing.

Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo hopes to end his 2017 season with a podium finish after he split the Ferraris to secure fourth on the grid.

The Australian produced a fast finale in Q3 to leap ahead of Kimi Raikkonen of Ferrari just as the session came to an end.

“I’m happy with that as I felt we had the pace to be on the second row and I would have been disappointed if did not show it.

“I really thought if I put a good lap together we could sneak ahead of at least one Ferrari. We are close and we can fight for the podium.”

His Red Bull teammate Max Verstappen settled for sixth after a difficult session following a struggle to find an effective set-up for his car.

"The whole weekend already I was struggling with the balance and not happy with it," he said.

"Sometimes you have those days. You just have to accept it’s not going to be your day, you’re just fighting the car a lot.

“You still try to do the best possible job but that was sixth today."

“I don’t know what went wrong otherwise for sure we would have changed it. What we have to do now is understand what it was and hopefully we can learn something for tomorrow."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hurricane Hits Texas, One Person Reported Dead

Hurricane Harvey hit Texas as a Category 4 storm on Friday, battering the coast with 130-mph winds and torrential rain. It was the strongest hurricane to hit the United States in more than a decade leaving a massive destruction, loss of electricity, wrecked buildings and has so far killed at least one person. Scroll down to see more pictures of the incident:

Togo prime Minister Komi Klassou resigns

Togo’s prime minister and his government have resigned, the West African nation’s presidency said late Friday. President Faure Gnassingbe congratulated prime minister Komi Selom Klassou and his team for their “economic, political and social efforts and the encouraging results despite the health crisis around the world”, a statement on the presidency’s official website said. Togo has been due for a political reshuffle since Gnassingbe was reelected in February for a fourth term in office, but changes were delayed by the coronavirus pandemic. The president’s election win, which came after a constitutional change allowing him to run, extended more than a half-century of dynastic rule over the former French colony by the Gnassingbe family. The victory was disputed by the main opposition challenger, who has faced official harassment in the wake of the vote. The president has led the country of eight million people since taking over in 2005 following the death of his father Gnass...

Kenyan Law Court dismisses case of man seeking compensation after his wife eloped with another man from hospital

  A lawsuit filed by a man seeking to be compensated by St Mary's Mission Hospital in Kenya for allowing his wife to leave the hospital with another man after giving birth, has been struck out by a law court.    The appellant had sued the St. Mary's Mission hospital at Kakamega law courts in 2020 seeking general damages from the facility on grounds that the hospital had discharged his wife and allowed her to leave with another man. After delivering and at the time of discharge, the wife of the appellant claimed he was the baby's father.   The court of appeal judges Patrick Kiage, Mumbi Ngugi and Francis Tuiyott sitting at the Kisumu Court of Appeal, empathized with the man, but disagreed that he (the appellant) be compensated by the hospital for not detaining his wife.  They upheld the lower court's judgement which added that there's no remedy that lies in the law for such grievances.   Kiage said;   "I agree that if a man takes the woman he loves to t...