Skip to main content

Allardyce and Pardew set for Premier League returns’

Sam Allardyce and Alan Pardew could both return to the Premier League as managers of Everton and West Bromwich Albion respectively as soon as Wednesday, according to British media reports.

With both clubs just two points above the bottom three, the experienced English duo's history of keeping clubs in the Premier League has led to them being linked with two sides desperately battling to beat the drop.

Staying up is now the overwhelming priority for many Premier League clubs, which is hardly surprising given teams are assured of £100 million ($134 million, 113 million euros) in broadcast revenue simply for remaining in English football's lucrative top flight.

Reports in several British newspapers said representatives of Allardyce – whose time as England manager was ended after just one game by a newspaper sting – had been having talks with Everton.

They added Allardyce could be unveiled as the permanent successor to Ronald Koeman at Goodison Park before Everton's league match at home to West Ham on Wednesday.

Caretaker manager David Unsworth, who has won just one of his seven games in charge since being promoted from the role of Everton Under-23 manager after Koeman was sacked in October, said: "As we sit here right now, I believe the board are talking to a few people.

"Talks are ongoing, but nothing has been finalised yet with anybody," added Unsworth, who still expects to be in charge of the Merseysiders on Wednesday despite last weekend's 4-1 loss to Southampton.

'TOP MANAGER' ALLARDYCE

Asked directly about Allardyce, who has been out of management since leaving Crystal Palace at the end of last season, Unsworth said: "Sam is a top manager, but I think it would be wrong of me to talk about individuals."

Meanwhile Pardew, who said Sunday he had held talks with West Brom, is in line for a return to the top flight after being sacked as manager of south London club Palace almost a year ago.

Pardew was not at The Hawthorns to witness Albion surrender a 2-0 lead in a 2-2 draw with Newcastle on Tuesday – a result caretaker boss Gary Megson labelled a "right kick in the wotsits".

Megson hinted the Midlands club could be on the verge of a change by saying: "The players are off tomorrow, they've not been off for eight days.

"I'm in at 10:00 am (1000 GMT) to see the chairman, I'm not aware of what it's about."

Pardew told Sky Sports last weekend: "I've had discussions with them (Albion)... They've got good quality in there and maybe they should be doing slightly better than they are."

Pulis was sacked on November 20 following a run of just two wins in 21 Premier League matches.

Albion's next match is at home to bottom of the table Palace on Saturday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigerian Military hands over 23 rescued children to UNICEF through Borno State

The Nigerian military has handed over 23 children who were formerly associated with Boko Haram insurgents, to UNICEF through the Borno State government.  The children were picked up during various military operations around the north-east region. Aged between 17 and 10 years, the boys and girls confessed to the military that they have been assisting the Boko Haram insurgents either as fighters or domestic helps in the camps. The Theatre Commander of a military counterinsurgency force, Abba Dikko, said the 23 children were released in line with Nigeria military’s commitment to the observance of human rights. He observed that the children and other vulnerable persons were victims who faced with the highly unstable circumstances induced by the conflict would have had little option but to fall under the thrall of the insurgents.  “We were able to identify this category of people, especially the women, the aged and children to whom it behooves our sense of duty and res...

FRSC reinforces directive on use of google maps while driving

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has clarified its position on the use of Google Maps, The FCT Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Ayuba Gora was quoted saying that driving with the aid of Google map using mobile phones is a serious traffic offence. Gora said this at the inauguration of the 2019 Ember Months Campaign by Lugbe Unit Command of the FRSC in Abuja yesterday. But, FRSC Spokesman Bisi Kazeem making reference to Gora’s comments said the Sector Commander was quoted out of context and his statement outrightly misrepresented. Kazeem said the FRSC as a technology-driven organisation is not and has never stood against the use of Google Maps by Motorists. The statement read: “To state the obvious, we have always enlightened the public on the position of the law on the use of phone while driving. “The statement he made during the flag off buttresses the position of the Corps, which is that any driver who intends to deploy the use of Google Map...

Rihanna confirms she's headlining the Super Bowl LVII halftime show

  Rihanna has confirmed she will be headlining the 2023 Super Bowl half-time show.   The Barbadian singer, 34, announced the news Sunday September 25, by sharing a photo of her tattooed arm holding a football. The post marks Rihanna's first social media activity since giving birth to her first child in May.   The NFL also Tweeted the big news with the same snap and the message 'Let’s GO-#SBLVII' A statement released by Roc Nation founder Shawn Jay-Z Carter, read: 'Rihanna is a generational talent, a woman of humble beginnings who has surpassed expectations at every turn. A person born on the small island of Barbados who became one of the most prominent artists ever. Self-made in business and entertainment.'  A statement from Apple Music read, 'We are thrilled to welcome Rihanna to the Apple Music Super Bowl Halftime Show stage,' shared Seth Dudowsky who is the NFL Head of Music. 'Rihanna is a once in a generation artist who has been a cultural fo...