Skip to main content

Lewis Hamilton says retirement not on his mind

Lewis Hamilton hailed one of his "best drives" on Friday despite being outpaced by Daniel Ricciardo during second free practice for this weekend’s Mexican Grand Prix, where on Sunday he hopes to claim his fourth drivers’ world title.

The 32-year-old Briton, who spun and ruined a set of tyres at Turn 11 early in the session, said his recovery and consistency in the remainder of that practice had seen him produce a drive that was “one of the best I have every done.”

Earlier, he had suggested that a fourth world title would not usher him towards retirement and hinted that he is likely to remain in the sport for the next few years.

“I can easily imagine myself without Formula One, but it is not about that right now,” he told reporters.

“There are some really cool things coming along that are going to complement where I am in Formula One.”

He declined to elaborate on his plans, but conceded that he had been in Los Angeles earlier in the week to discuss “creations” he was working on.

“I definitely won’t be here at 40,” he said. “I don’t think that is going to happen, but it changes all the time.

“There have been times when I thought I am happy to move on, but you can’t come back.

“I can’t tell you how long I will be here for, but eventually I will figure it out and know when the time comes. I anticipate a couple more years at least.”

Hamilton also said that he would not consider winning a fourth title as elevating him beyond his childhood hero, Brazilian Ayrton Senna, who had won three championships before his death in the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix.

“Ayrton’s life was cut short and I think, had he the opportunity to continue and race in safe conditions, he would have continued to win more championships.

“I don’t look upon him and think that I am better because I have more wins and championships and poles, but I feel very proud for my name to be mentioned alongside his name – and that’s all.”

Looking back on his early years in F1 with McLaren and his first championship win, he added: “In 2008 I was a kid. I had all the natural talent I have today, but I didn’t have the knowledge or experience.

“I’m much better equipped now than I was in 2008. It’s actually been more enjoyable this year being in the position I am. I’m a lot more comfortable in my own skin so that’s really helped me.”

Looking ahead to Sunday’s race and his chance to secure another title, he added: "I'm now fighting a championship-winning team in Ferrari and a champion driver, but I'm much better equipped. It's actually been more enjoyable this year being in the position I am.

“When you are 18, you think you know everything, but you don’t know anything."

On Friday, Hamilton wound up second in both sessions, having also been outpaced by Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas in the morning.

"It's been a good day," said Hamilton. "It didn't really start out great, particularly in the second session with the big spin on my first lap that really threw me off the session and made it a little bit tricky to get the run on the super-soft tyres.

“I had put myself on the back foot, but the single lap and then the long run on the ultra-soft was probably one of the best I've ever done.

“I don't think I've ever done 26 laps that consistent, apart from in a race maybe.

“We got lots of information, the track was feeling better in the second session once the temperature came up -– so, overall, it was a good day."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigerian Military hands over 23 rescued children to UNICEF through Borno State

The Nigerian military has handed over 23 children who were formerly associated with Boko Haram insurgents, to UNICEF through the Borno State government.  The children were picked up during various military operations around the north-east region. Aged between 17 and 10 years, the boys and girls confessed to the military that they have been assisting the Boko Haram insurgents either as fighters or domestic helps in the camps. The Theatre Commander of a military counterinsurgency force, Abba Dikko, said the 23 children were released in line with Nigeria military’s commitment to the observance of human rights. He observed that the children and other vulnerable persons were victims who faced with the highly unstable circumstances induced by the conflict would have had little option but to fall under the thrall of the insurgents.  “We were able to identify this category of people, especially the women, the aged and children to whom it behooves our sense of duty and res...

FRSC reinforces directive on use of google maps while driving

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has clarified its position on the use of Google Maps, The FCT Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Ayuba Gora was quoted saying that driving with the aid of Google map using mobile phones is a serious traffic offence. Gora said this at the inauguration of the 2019 Ember Months Campaign by Lugbe Unit Command of the FRSC in Abuja yesterday. But, FRSC Spokesman Bisi Kazeem making reference to Gora’s comments said the Sector Commander was quoted out of context and his statement outrightly misrepresented. Kazeem said the FRSC as a technology-driven organisation is not and has never stood against the use of Google Maps by Motorists. The statement read: “To state the obvious, we have always enlightened the public on the position of the law on the use of phone while driving. “The statement he made during the flag off buttresses the position of the Corps, which is that any driver who intends to deploy the use of Google Map...

Rihanna confirms she's headlining the Super Bowl LVII halftime show

  Rihanna has confirmed she will be headlining the 2023 Super Bowl half-time show.   The Barbadian singer, 34, announced the news Sunday September 25, by sharing a photo of her tattooed arm holding a football. The post marks Rihanna's first social media activity since giving birth to her first child in May.   The NFL also Tweeted the big news with the same snap and the message 'Let’s GO-#SBLVII' A statement released by Roc Nation founder Shawn Jay-Z Carter, read: 'Rihanna is a generational talent, a woman of humble beginnings who has surpassed expectations at every turn. A person born on the small island of Barbados who became one of the most prominent artists ever. Self-made in business and entertainment.'  A statement from Apple Music read, 'We are thrilled to welcome Rihanna to the Apple Music Super Bowl Halftime Show stage,' shared Seth Dudowsky who is the NFL Head of Music. 'Rihanna is a once in a generation artist who has been a cultural fo...