Skip to main content

Most Wanted Kidnapper now suing Nigeria Police

Earlier in June, Nigeria’s police caught the country’s most-wanted kidnapper, responsible for charging million-dollar ransoms for high-profile abductees.

But even despite his arrest, the accused criminal—Chukwudi Dunem Onuamadkie, known by his alias of Evans—has proved to be a thorn in the Nigerian government’s side. Evans has given several interviews to media while in detention and become something of a social media celebrity.

Now the kidnapper is trying to sue the Nigerian police and take the government to court too.


Evans’s lawyer filed a case Wednesday at the high court in Lagos, Nigeria’s economic hub on the Atlantic coast, alleging that he had been illegally detained, Nigeria’s Premium Times reported. The suspect requested that he be either immediately charged to court or released unconditionally.

Police captured Evans and six of his associates on June 10, following a gun battle at an upmarket Lagos property. They also seized weapons and munitions, including more than 1,000 rounds of AK-47 ammunition, according to security forces.

The alleged kidnapper’s complaint targeted the inspector general of police, Ibrahim Idris; the commissioner of police in Lagos state; the Nigeria Police Force as a whole; and an anti-robbery squad in the Lagos police force. Evans’s father also submitted an affidavit as part of the complaint, saying that his son had been subject to a trial by media and had not been given a fair hearing

According to Nigeria’s constitution, suspects should appear before a court a maximum of two days after the date of their detention, unless there are extenuating circumstances.
A spokesman for the Nigeria Police Force, Jimoh Moshood, said the police had obtained a court order to detain Evans for three months to allow for a proper investigation, Premium Times reported. The investigation would involve police traveling to Ghana, where Evans reportedly owned several properties, South Africa and elsewhere.

Kidnapping for ransom is a serious problem in Nigeria, with many Western governments warning would-be travelers of the risk of abduction. Kidnappers often target wealthy Nigerians or foreigners in the hope of demanding a large ransom.

In February 2015, U.S. missionary Phyllis Sortor was kidnapped in Kogi state, central Nigeria, and released after two weeks. Her abductors originally demanded a $300,000 ransom. Sortor’s family later confirmed that they had paid the kidnappers but said it was much less than the sum demanded, according to Reuters. The family also claimed to be the first to benefit from an updated U.S. policy that meant that federal agents could advise the families of abductees on talking to the abductors but play no role in the ransom negotiation process.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigerian Military hands over 23 rescued children to UNICEF through Borno State

The Nigerian military has handed over 23 children who were formerly associated with Boko Haram insurgents, to UNICEF through the Borno State government.  The children were picked up during various military operations around the north-east region. Aged between 17 and 10 years, the boys and girls confessed to the military that they have been assisting the Boko Haram insurgents either as fighters or domestic helps in the camps. The Theatre Commander of a military counterinsurgency force, Abba Dikko, said the 23 children were released in line with Nigeria military’s commitment to the observance of human rights. He observed that the children and other vulnerable persons were victims who faced with the highly unstable circumstances induced by the conflict would have had little option but to fall under the thrall of the insurgents.  “We were able to identify this category of people, especially the women, the aged and children to whom it behooves our sense of duty and res...

FRSC reinforces directive on use of google maps while driving

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has clarified its position on the use of Google Maps, The FCT Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Ayuba Gora was quoted saying that driving with the aid of Google map using mobile phones is a serious traffic offence. Gora said this at the inauguration of the 2019 Ember Months Campaign by Lugbe Unit Command of the FRSC in Abuja yesterday. But, FRSC Spokesman Bisi Kazeem making reference to Gora’s comments said the Sector Commander was quoted out of context and his statement outrightly misrepresented. Kazeem said the FRSC as a technology-driven organisation is not and has never stood against the use of Google Maps by Motorists. The statement read: “To state the obvious, we have always enlightened the public on the position of the law on the use of phone while driving. “The statement he made during the flag off buttresses the position of the Corps, which is that any driver who intends to deploy the use of Google Map...

Rihanna confirms she's headlining the Super Bowl LVII halftime show

  Rihanna has confirmed she will be headlining the 2023 Super Bowl half-time show.   The Barbadian singer, 34, announced the news Sunday September 25, by sharing a photo of her tattooed arm holding a football. The post marks Rihanna's first social media activity since giving birth to her first child in May.   The NFL also Tweeted the big news with the same snap and the message 'Let’s GO-#SBLVII' A statement released by Roc Nation founder Shawn Jay-Z Carter, read: 'Rihanna is a generational talent, a woman of humble beginnings who has surpassed expectations at every turn. A person born on the small island of Barbados who became one of the most prominent artists ever. Self-made in business and entertainment.'  A statement from Apple Music read, 'We are thrilled to welcome Rihanna to the Apple Music Super Bowl Halftime Show stage,' shared Seth Dudowsky who is the NFL Head of Music. 'Rihanna is a once in a generation artist who has been a cultural fo...